Hello NPTA Members,
Welcome to the 2022 season! We look forward to seeing all of you on the courts this spring and summer. Below is an organizational email to give you an idea of what to expect this spring.
Winter Social at The Strand: Saturday, February 19, 7:30-10:30
Cost: $10 per person. Depending on attendance, we’ll play a round robin format: best of 5 games and then cycle off the courts to let the next crew play. The Strand has one dedicated singles court for those of you who prefer singles. NPTA will provide tennis balls, but BYOB and bring your own snacks (BYOS). If you want to pay your dues at the Winter Social, you can give your checks to Steve Bloom or to one of the Board members.
Spring Programs Start April 18:
The spring programs will run 8 weeks, from 4/18-6/6 (make up week: 6/13). Summer programs start the week immediately following. To sign up, visit newprovtennis.org and get in touch with your league coordinators (names below). All 2022 dates are posted on newprovtennis.org.
Your 2022 League Coordinators:
- Men’s Doubles: Bharat Rao
- Women’s Doubles: Mimi Knorr and Karen Luongo
- Mixed Doubles: Denise Moser
- Beginner’s Tennis: Jennifer Kruger
- Mixed Round Robin: Carol Lenardson
- Singles Ladder: (open to both men and women): Donald Doran
Annual dues are $35, and they cover all programs and tournaments (plus you’ll get a very nice sweat towel) from 1/1-12/31. You can pay via Paypal at newprovtennis.org or mail a check to:
New Providence Tennis Association
PO Box 1042
New Providence, NJ 07974
- Walther Cup scheduled for 6/4/22
- Pioneer Cup tentatively scheduled for 7/16/22
We’re very happy to announce the launch of two new programs: pick-up tennis and a mixed doubles ladder. Both programs will start in late April and will run through the end of our season in October. More details to follow.
The Boro of NP will confirm NPTA’s reservations for our programs by the end of March. Your league coordinators will have the information by the time the leagues begin in case there are adjustments to the calendar below. For now, all you need to do is pay your annual dues and sign up with the respective coordinator. Visit newprovtennis.org to sign up.
If you are an out-of-towner, you can play in our leagues and on our courts as long as you are participating in an NPTA-sponsored league or event. At other times, the NP courts are reserved for NP residents (unless of course you are playing with a friend from NP).
Spring Tennis Term: 4/18/22 – 6/6/22 (8 weeks)
- Dates: 4/18, 4/25, 5/2, 5/9, 5/16, 5/23, 5/30, 6/6
- Makeup Week: 6/13
Summer Tennis Term: 6/20 -8/15 (7 weeks)
- Dates: 6/20, 6/27, 7/4 (no session), 7/11, 7/18, 7/25, 8/1, 8/8
- Makeup Week: 8/15
Fall Tennis Term: 8/29-10/17 (7 weeks)
- Dates: 8/29, 9/5, 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10
- Makeup Week: 10/17
Other ongoing programs:
The Singles ladder, which is open to both men and women; anyone can join at any time throughout spring, summer, and fall, by contacting Donald Doran at firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting in Touch with Us:
We always want to hear from you: what we’re doing right, what we could be doing better. Drop us a line at email@example.com.
Hope to see you at the Strand. If not, we’ll see you on the courts in April.
Your 2022 Board Members:
- Patti Miller – President
- Bharat Rao – VP Programs
- Yolanda Barron (outgoing) and Steve Bloom – Treasurer
- Denise Moser – Secretary/Website
- Karthik Sankaralingam – Programs/Communications
- Isabella Blumberg – Media/Graphics
Hello NPTA Members,
We hope everyone is well, healthy, and keeping active.
Our summer leagues are scheduled to begin 6/1, and though this start date seems we are still hopeful. New Providence is following guidelines on opening up courts and fields from both the governor’s office and the Westfield Regional Health Department. Until the NP Boro gives us the green light, we are restricted to singles play only.
- Contact the league coordinators to register for teams so we can hit the ground running once are allowed. We will run the singles ladder, women’s doubles, men’s doubles, mixed doubles, and the round robins eventually.
- The Walther Cup scheduled for 5/30 has been postponed and tentatively rescheduled to the weekend after Labor Day.
Current Guidelines for Court Use (as of 5/10/20)
The courts are open for singles playonly (2 people per court) for New Providence residents. The town is not taking any court reservations, so the courts are on a first come/first served basis.
- Restricted to New Providence Residents – ID required
- 1 hour maximum – no lingering afterwards
- Courts open 7:30am-Sundown
- No bathrooms
- No lights
Remember: Courts 5-8 are still scheduled for global repairs beginning June 1st.
We will be in touch with further information as it unfolds. Until then, stay safe.
The NPTA Board